Friday, February 2, 2024

How do you feel about censored music

Sarah Bolton

 

Image source: nytimes.com

 https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/30/learning/how-do-you-feel-about-censored-music.html





I prefer uncensored songs. They feel way more expressive, and give off ‘I’m gonna say what I want’ vibes. When I sing along with songs with swear words, I get this kind of thrill. Violent songs are just fun. However, I do not like songs with slurs in them, and If I realize that song has a slur I will not listen to it, as it makes me extremely uncomfortable, and if I listen to it too much, I’m worried it may worm its way into my vocabulary.

My parents don’t care very much about what I listen to, besides the once-in-a-blue-moon check-in. I don’t think they have rules, but I’ve never told them about any of my more explicit songs, and neither has my brother, so I’m not sure what they would think about them. They don’t control my streaming services either. Honestly, I don’t think parents should control teengers’ music choices. Teenagers are old enough to do it themselves.

I think parents should make decisions about what lyrics are suitable for children, but not for teenagers. As said above, teenagers are old enough to do it themselves. Parents are in charge of their children, not anyone else (besides teachers, babysitters, etc.). Music artists can also make those decisions. They are the ones making the song, they can make it whatever they want. 

Many parents are worried that “[explicit songs’] lyrics are obscene, that they incite violence, or that they are harmful to minors(Fischer). Personally, I prefer uncensored songs. Censoring yourself takes away the expressiveness and uniqueness of your creations. However, censoring a song may “restrict the expression of musical artists who may have valuable and genuine things to say through their art form” (Music).




Fischer, Paul. “Music Censorship.” Free Speech Center, https://firstamendment.mtsu.edu/article/music-censorship/.

“Music.” National Coalition Against Censorship, https://ncac.org/issue/music.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that censored music takes away a lot of the original meaning and intention of a song. My parents don't particularly care about what music I listen to either, and I think teens are mature enough to make these kinds of decisions themselves. I think some parents don't expect their children to know better, but most do.

    ReplyDelete

Love & Stracciatella

     That's it. I'm going to Italy one day.   -- was what I thought as I finally closed the back cover of the book.  Love & Gela...